Sunday, May 30, 2010

Week 3:


I wasn't quite able to accomplish my goal of taking the CCNA test this past weekend, but I've gotten pretty far in study nonetheless, and will be ready to take it in the very near future. We also were unable to go to Rameesh's wedding, due to transportation issues and work schedule. His wedding is tomorrow (June 1st), so give him your congratulations on his wedding website, linked in the previous post.
We went for a short day-trip to a monolithic mountain called Savandurga just in the rural area just outside of Bangalore, guided by Savio, a friend and former travel-agency guide for India. Looking at the mountain from the bottom, climbing it looked like a daunting task, but thinking myself to be in decent shape, I tried going straight up the face of the solid block of granite. I made it about 70% of the way up, but I hit a part that was too steep/slick for my shoes to get traction, and ended up crab-crawling my way back down and going back around the side to meet with the others. Since I was shuffling down on my hands and butt I've managed to get blisters on both palms and starting on my feet. En-route to the bottom, I passed two little Indian kids, hauling it to the top...barefoot. I have pictures of them as they are going up the face. I'll see if I can figure out the photo-bucket slide show or some other way to get more pictures up here.
While waiting for the bus on the way back, a little girl asked Chase for the empty sprite bottle he had. When she got it, she broke out in a huge smile and ran to show her friends. We became instant celebrities in the villages sub-10 group, and had a group of kids waving us goodbye as we left on the bus. Ever seen The Gods Must Be Crazy? We've probably started a process that can only end by that little girls father throwing that bottle off the end of the world.
Work continues to be great experience, and as any good job, at times very challenging. However, I can tell I'm approaching the part of the learning curve where it's starting to show a little bit of horizontally asymptotic behavior. I'm finally getting my pansy tennis-shoed American feet under me.

-Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment